Thursday, July 9, 2015

0

Red, White, and...Baby?

A little late making this update but my last update was lengthy in itself that it took a while!

I hope everyone had a great fourth of July celebration weekend!  Being almost 8 months pregnant, (possibly further along), in the heat and humidity in North Carolina in July, I was very worried about what my options would be as far as taking Bentley to a few different festivals and celebrations!   I decided to pick a small town, just one town over, to go for a couple of hours to check it out and see what they had going on. Bentley was all dressed up in his cute Fourth of July outfit, and I sported a red, white, and blue maxi dress (my pregnancy favorites!). 



Having a little boy, Bentley noticed a large lot full of cars for the car show, and instantly insisted that we go look.  We parked the car on this hot day, (I didn't even check to see what the temperature was, I was too scared), and headed over to the lot. Bentley spent a good 30 minutes checking out each car, inside and out, posed by his favorites, and we headed over to see what else was in store for the day.  

While we made our way from the car show, just across the street to the field where the festival continued. I stopped for a second, and woosh! A gush of fluid came out, and standing there as shocked as I was, Bentley looked at me and said, "Mommy, was that baby Brittan?" Startled and 
unsure of exactly what just happened, we made our way back to the car and called my mother.  I told her everything that happened, and she said that I needed to notify my OB. I called them, and spoke to the OB on call, who suggested that it was important that I come into the hospital to get checked out to make sure that it wasn't my water breaking.  He assured me that if I came in, it would be a very quick verification process, and I would be on my way, with the least amount of interruption in our plans as possible. 

We sat in the car to cool off while I decided exactly what I wanted to do, whether to go now, or wait just a little bit, when we decided to go ahead and head to the hospital to get checked to have it done and over with. I really didn't mind the interruption in our plans, it was a good break from the heat! 

Bentley was heartbroken to leave, because he wanted to stay and watch the parade, (which he kept referring to as the Disney World parade, LOL). But when we went to leave, the small town already had the roads in and out blocked off, making it nearly impossible to leave. I called my mom who said that as long as I wasn't having labor pains, that it was best that I just turn around and wait it out because sitting in traffic was making me nervous and stressed out.  So we turned around and found a great parking spot, and a sitting spot in the shade, where we sat and watched the parade! Bentley was so excited to see all of the different floats, cars, animals, and especially the candy that was being thrown! 

I have to insert a "please excuse me while I brag about my child" here sentence for this next part! Bentley and I were seated close to the road for the parade, (as was everyone else), and Bentley was loving getting the candy as they were throwing it out. The first time that the candy didn't quite make it to the grass, Bentley walked up to the edge, and stopped, and looked both ways, and yelled back, "Mommy, there's no cars coming." And I assured him that it was okay to get the candy and come back. I was so proud of him for doing that since I hadn't mentioned anything about "looking both ways" and other mommy reminders during the parade.  Towards the end of the parade, one of the
participates, again, threw candy that didn't quite make it to the grass. Bentley walked up to the edge and stopped because there was still other people in the parade coming down. The float stopped, and waved for Bentley to go ahead, and he turned around and said, "Mommy, is it okay?" While he may not have understood how proud I was of him for the way he responded, and acted during the parade, and all of the times that I look silly, stopping and looking both ways 17,000 times with him, I knew my mommy rules were finally being put to use! I would say he was amazing for a three year old, running after candy!

Waiting for Fireworks!
After the parade, we headed back to our hometown. We picked up my mom, (so in case my water did break, she would have a way to have her car and take Bentley back home), and we headed to Chapel Hill. The doctor did a few quick tests, a quick ultrasound to measure the remaining fluid, and stated that it wasn't my water, and sent me on my way.  

We had just enough time to come home, grab a few hamburgers and hot dogs, and head back to the festivites. We had a horrible time finding parking, since most of the people had been there all day, and we were just now coming back for the fireworks. We ended up finding a spot, and we quickly ran (well he ran, clearly I waddled), and found a good seat.  Bentley was so sweet, holding my hand, during the fireworks saying how happy he was, and how much he loved the fireworks and me. At one point, he leaned over and said to my belly, "Don't worry Peanut. It's not thunder, it's just pretty fireworks. They aren't scary."  That's when I knew that my little man was ready to be a big brother!



Much love, 
Brandi

0 comments:

Post a Comment